Another year in the books. I have decided to stop remarking on how fast time goes by, so I won’t say that “I can’t believe 2017 is over!” Every year that passes, time seems to move even faster. I can’t say that 2017 was a momentous year for me, especially coming after my fantastic 2016 year, but 2017 held its own. One area that surged for me in 2017 was how many books I read, surpassing last year’s total by 25 books! Not having graduate school to contend with really opened up my schedule for spending more time reading for pleasure. I also devoted significantly more time to this blog, which has been a welcome addition to my bookish adventures.
Knowing that I would have more time this year to read, I increased my GoodReads goal from 30 in 2016 to 50 in 2017. I ended up meeting my goal in early November and ultimately surpassed it to a total of 58 books, making it by far my biggest reading year!
When reflecting on how I enjoyed this year’s books, I had some really good ones. I rated 6 books with 5 stars and 22 with 4 stars, making more than half of the books I read ones I thoroughly enjoyed. Let’s take a closer look at some of my favorite books for the year (with links to my book reviews):
- Empire of Storms by Sarah J. Maas
- The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls
- Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
- Always and Forever, Lara Jean by Jenny Han (I read and loved the whole series this year, but the 3rd book is my favorite)
- Words in Deep Blue by Cath Crowley
- Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adiche
- Darker Shades of Magic by V.E. Schwab
- A Gathering of Shadows by V.E. Schwab
- Commonwealth by Ann Patchett
If I absolutely had to pick just one book to be my favorite, I couldn’t…so don’t ask me. I also won’t ask you, but if you want to share any of your favorites for the year, I’d love to hear about them in the comments below.
Here is a composite of all of the titles I read this year. Cheers to a safe and happy New Year to each of you. Best wishes for a very bookish 2018!